Mostest Read Ones

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Why embroider?

Little bit of a close-up
Because I love that there are at least 20 different colors of pink thread to choose from...and twice the options for green. I've always wanted to learn how to embroider, and I decided that now is a good a time as any. Heading to a baby shower this weekend with some Babes in Bookland goodies in tow and I am so excited to embroider the babies initials on the burp cloths. Maybe soon I'll be able to offer this as an option in the shop!

Bought a book and some thread to match my burp cloth cotton last night and started practicing with different stitches. Back stitch, split stitch, cross stitch, hook stitch, sticky stitch, witch stitch...I don't know...I can't remember the names so I may be making some up. Point is, I did a lot. Oh yeah, french knots. Those are harder than they look...

I practiced a different type of stitch on each letter of the babies name. It did not turn out very well...so I've decided to stick with just doing her first initial, and doing it big. Here's what my practice looked like last night. More experimentation than practice I suppose.
"Giada"



If the picture is a little blurry...it's because I'm no photographer. And apparently...no master embroiderer! You probably can't even make out what the name is...but that G looks pretty good yeah? I'm pretty proud of it as it was my first letter ever of that stitch. I also like the way the satin stitch on the dress turned out.

I'm off to embroider now...possibly on anything and everything. I caught myself practicing on my pillowcase last night while I was laying down feeding Fletcher...you know you're some kind of crazy crafter when you have a needle and thread on your bedside table within arms reach and you pick it up and just start going at your bed linens. I need to be stopped.

UPDATE: Check out finished embroidery after the jump!



Kind of hard to see

G is for Giada
Look a flower! 



No comments:

Post a Comment